|Colin R. Robins|
|Assistant Professor of Environmental Science|
|Office:||Keck Science Center 238|
|Ph.D., Geoscience, University of Nevada Las Vegas.
M.S., Soil Science, Oregon State University.
B.A., Geology & Spanish, Macalester College.
|1. EA30L Science and the Environment (w/lab) (EA30L is a 48-seat course taught every semester by KSD EA faculty)
2. EA55L Physical Geography & Geomorphology (w/lab) (This is a 24-seat natural science laboratory course and an introductory Earth science course; field trips are emphasized; offered in Spring 2017)
3. EA103 Soils & Society (Next offered in AY 2017-2018. This is an upper-division EA science and Earth science course.)
|Rocks. Dirt. Science.
Soils, sediments, and landforms are brilliantly puzzling, complex palimpsests that reflect both ancient and present-day environmental conditions. As a physical geographer, soil scientist, geologist, and environmental scientist, I study the ways in which landscape components record surface, climate, and ecosystem histories at scales ranging from the nanometer to the kilometer. My main research interests include: (1) the pursuit of new, quantitative, isotopic measures of arid soil minerals and geomorphic surface ages, and (2) applications of soil science and geochemistry to challenges in species conservation and/or land management efforts.
|I support thesis research by science students interested in a variety of disciplines in Earth and Environmental Science, Soils, and Geology, especially geomorphology, soil genesis, mineralogy, GIS-based mapping, and paleoenvironmental reconstruction. Field and/or laboratory project topics (proportions of Environmental Science, Geology, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology are flexible) might include:
- Experimental soil genesis (Geochemistry, mineralogy)
- Clay mineralogy and geochemistry
- Analysis of soil solution chemistry using ICP-OES (plasma spectrometry)
- Optical and/or scanning electron microscope (SEM) analysis and interpretation of minerals or soil/paleosol microstructures (Micromorphology)
- Field and GIS mapping of soil-geomorphology and floral biogeography (Geomorphology/Ecology)
|Selected Publications List: Click to open new window.|