This interdisciplinary major is focused on biology and the physical sciences and incorporates a significant amount of mathematics. The major is research-oriented and is designed to prepare students for graduate studies or medical school, as well as careers in biotechnology and the pharmaceutical industry.
Keck Science Common Learning Outcomes
Students completing a major in the Keck Science Department should demonstrate the ability to:
- Use foundational principles to analyze problems in nature.
- Develop hypotheses and test them using quantitative techniques.
- Articulate applications of science in the modern world.
- Effectively communicate scientific concepts both verbally and in writing.
Student Learning Outcomes
A Molecular Biology major should be able to:
- Understand foundational scientific principles and findings in current molecular biology.
- Discuss and analyze original scientific research articles in molecular biology.
- Interpret data, including identification of control versus experimental samples.
- Design controlled experiments to test specific hypotheses.